The Healing Foundation
The Healing Foundation: We are an independent national Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander organisation with a focus on healing our community. We support culturally strong, locally run Indigenous healing programs around Australia and fund education and research on Indigenous healing. These programs grow our children strong, support members of the Stolen Generations, and assist communities to build cultural strength and skill up workers.
- Defining what healing means to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Acknowledging the intergenerational impact of trauma on families and communities
- Developing links between Indigenous and non-Indigenous healing models
- Working with young people to build connections to culture
- Supporting Stolen Generations survivors
- Developing programs relevant to men and boys
- Building on the work women have done to unite and heal families and communities
Stolen Generations: The national Apology focused attention on the legacy of trauma and grief suffered by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through colonisation. The impact on families and communities has been profound and far reaching affecting many generations. The Healing Foundation recognises that the Stolen Generations have been alienated from their families, identity, land, language and culture.
Young Healers: Young Healers is a new initiative to engage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people. It’s about engaging and educating the community around healing for young people, establishing networks and connection. Young Healers allows young people to address their trauma from a place of strength and resilience.
Our Work: The Healing Foundation supports culturally strong, community developed, locally run programs in communities across Australia to improve the wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people. It’s all about Our Healing Our Way.
The work that we do can be divided into four broad categories:
- PO Box 4363 Kingston ACT 2604
- Phone: +61 2 6124 4400
- Fax: +61 2 6232 6654
- Email: email@example.com
(Sourced: The Healing Foundation)